About Me

My photo
I'm a teenage girl who enjoys a variety of things, such as flowers, colors, piano, music, henna, writing, animals, reading, acting, creating, talking, moving, learning, smiling, and playing. This blog is about my life, interests, and observations.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

I like writing. Suggestions?

I like writing. Really. But why can't I always come up with new ideas? Maybe it's just a hint from the high gods that I wasn't meant to be a comic writer, or a weekly TV series plot line-writer, or whatever you would call that role. What should I write? Another story? Should I join more WoW RP threads, and maybe it'll give me an idea? I don't know.

Maybe I should write about how I feel. Yeahh... maybe then I can get an inspiration for a character, for some new story that will only last a few chapters in a failing novel. Fun.

Okay. There is an absolutely amazing writer on the Roleplaying forums. She's friendly, she's bubbly, and she gives out free waffulz! (Inside joke, sorry.) Her character's name is Lilam (as that is also what everyone calls her). But I don't know how I'm supposed to feel, when I read her writings. Should I feel inspired to continue writing, and eventually I'll get better at it? Or should I feel discouraged, knowing that I'll never possibly be that good? Mmph. I don't know.

I doubt I really ever could be as good at her, anyway. Perhaps when I get older, and through my years, I'll learn/understand more words. I'll have them at my will to weave into my writings. Perhaps it'll create some sort of illusion that I have a creative, intelligent mind, yet no idea what those particular words mean. No one would know of my incapability to understand my own sentences, of course. Incredible idea.

But of course, I'm only kidding you! Dictionary.com is my best friend, so I'm never unaware of what a word means. Sometimes I'm unaware of how to place it in a sentence, and what context it should be used, but you get the picture. Oh! I almost forgot. A link to Lilam's most recent thread: click here

Just her first post on the forum sent chills up my spine. The way she can write. The ideas that come into her head, and the very logic of it all. How can does she do it? Alec said it was over elaborate, and really didn't need that much detail. The least possible detail - yet still getting the point across - the better. That's HIS opinion, of course... I love detail. It's one of my weak points, though. I could most definitely get better at it.

Hm... perhaps I'll write another story, and post it on the blog as I go along. That would be fun!


Okay, I have a request for all of you, my friends! Do any of you have any suggestions as to what I should write about? A tragedy, a romance, how about adventure... maybe I should just write about a bunch of characters, because I know that I'll never be able to create a plot line, quite yet. What about characters? Should I use a tomboy girl, and a shy boy? A pompous paladin-knight-type and an independent woman? Whatever you can come up with, please do tell. Names are also accepted for suggestions. I'm in need to write again! Please help me out!

2 comments:

hahamommy said...

Only one way to get better at writing, chickie... that would be more writing!! I checked Joyce's website (joyfullyrejoycing.com) and she has a link (very bottom, left column) to her *writing prompt page* called Dragonwriting (dragonwritingprompts.blogsome.com). She gives you images and descriptors to begin your practice. I think you'll love it!
It's a hint from the gods that you cannot, indeed, do this alone, you need Tribal support, which we are always happy to provide ♥
And PS. Stephen King is the Royalty of Word Overuse, the man has serious diarrea of the pen, could leave out half of them and still have an amazing detailed book... and yet folks give him millions of dollars for his illegible handwriting and his abundant verbosity!

Rue said...

Stephen King also wrote a book about writing called, 'On Writing' that I found helpful when I was starting my book. He talks about just letting it all come out without worrying about whether it's 'good' or not, then editing later. I used to feel stuck sometimes waiting for just the right idea or word. Now I just let it flow and delete whatever I don't like when I'm done.

As far as what you should start writing about, I'd just write down anything you're inspired to write without worrying about how it'll come together with other parts. So if you have ideas for characters but no idea of the plot yet, that's ok - just write about the characters. Eventually you'll figure out where they belong, or maybe you'll never use them but they'll spark some other idea.

I'd save everything you like even if you can't imagine where you'd ever use it. I sometimes use a little snippet I've saved for years.