About Me

My photo
I'm a teenage girl who enjoys a variety of things, such as flowers, colors, piano, music, henna, writing, animals, reading, acting, creating, talking, moving, learning, smiling, and playing. This blog is about my life, interests, and observations.

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Piercing

Hmm~. I was going to get a tragus piercing. That's the little cartilage knob right in front of the ear. I have thought for years that a little silver stud there would be adorable, and I've planned to get it ever since. I had no specific time frames, so I was content to just wait until the urge really overwhelmed me. There were a few occasions where we were going to go out and get it done, but every time something else happened. Eventually mom convinced me to research them a little more before making my full decision. As I said, I wasn't in a huge hurry, so that was fine. In fact, I only just got around to it last night.

*If you're a bit squeamish, you might want to skip the next paragraph.*
The tragus is considered an "exotic" ear piercing. You are most likely going to be asked to lie down on your side while they pierce it, because the needle takes a bit more pressure to puncture the thick cartilage, and that way your head has the most stable position and won't move. It doesn't, however, hurt as much as everyone thinks, because there are very few nerve endings within it. Blood is almost always inevitable, even for the first couple hours after.

It is suggested you clean it two to three times a day, and because it is more prone to infection (thick cartilage), it is suggested that you swap out a clean pillow case every three or so days.

After reading all of this, I was still convinced that I wanted the piercing. I was talking with some friends about it, and jamming to my Avenged Sevenfold music, listened through my brand-new, highish quality earbuds that I got for Christmas. It was then that the thought occurred to me... that I wouldn't be able to wear earbuds or headphones for the first ten weeks after the procedure. I'm not sure if I'd be able to fit them in correctly at all afterward, with the stud's clasp in the way.

Whelp, that idea's out! As I said, I still love the piercing, but I'm not sure if I'm quite willing to pay for something that's aesthetically pleasing, but affects the functionality of my entire ear. I guess I'll have to think of something else... a cartilage piercing for my right ear, perhaps? Another lobe piercing...? I am DEFINITELY getting a tattoo when I'm legal to!


A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
Naive you are / if you believe / life favours those / who aren't naive. -Piet Hein, poet and scientist (1905-1996)

2 comments:

Heather said...

If you DO decide to go for it... consider getting one at a time done. I had both of mine done at the same time and ran into issues, especially while sleeping. It is good to have a free ear or a completely healed ear to sleep on.

Both of my piercings ended up with a keloid and I had to remove them both. I still miss them and I'm almost 32.

Abbi Traaseth said...

Oh, yes- my left ear has the cartilage pierced, and I have several lobe piercings as well. I was really only interested in getting it done in the right tragus, anyway. :) Trying to sleep really was the biggest pain!

Also, you're never too old to try and get them again, if you like them enough!