About Me

My photo
I'm a teenage girl who enjoys a variety of things, such as flowers, colors, piano, music, henna, writing, animals, reading, acting, creating, talking, moving, learning, smiling, and playing. This blog is about my life, interests, and observations.

Monday, January 04, 2010

Journals

Happy New Year everyone!

I've come to realize lately, that I like recording my thoughts. Be it blogging, journal-ing, Facebooking, creating personalized calendars, or even vlogging a little bit, I want other people (my future self included) to know my thoughts on things. I tend to be a very opinionated person, and I'm also very interested in the way a person changes over time, so maybe this is all just an experiment to see if I still agree with myself in ten years. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. But I know that when I read it, I'll remember exactly where I was all that time ago (like right now, sitting in a warm house on a cold morning, wrapped in a blanket that is way too big for me), and I'll remember what I was feeling, what I was thinking. I'll take myself back ten years... and I'll see if I'm still the same person.

Because of this interest of mine, I have been writing in a journal. I had been going on and off since I was about eight, but as of the last... maybe about ten months, I've been doing my best to make frequent entries. I still enjoy reading back. I still enjoy experiencing the changes. What had seemed like a slow progression and evolution different thoughts through the months, can be read in a matter of minutes. And my opinions certainly DID change! "I love World of Warcraft!" "The internet is so great!" "I think I'm going to write a book!" "I don't like the book anymore." "I'm done with the computer for now." "I'm really excited to go to [insert location here]!" "I'm feeling sick now, I don't think I can go." "Healthy again! It'll be a blast!"

I also like recording little pieces of information that I would have long forgotten about in later years. It reminds me, again, what I was feeling in that particular moment. I don't think that inconspicuous memories should be lost just because they're small. It brings me down to earth a bit, I guess, to remember what my favorite cereal was at the time, or my favorite song.

In a way, these entries are like tethers to my memories. Sure, there is a chance that I would have remembered all of these details without the need to remind myself... but with them, I can really pull them in again, if they were lost. They're physical evidence of how I felt. A little piece of that moment that I have with me in the future.

Anyway, I think I was going somewhere with this. I may start blogging more. Recording those small, little thoughts for other people to read too. My journal is personal, but sometimes I feel like I want to share it. So, as a compromise, I'll share them here! Let's see how I do.

4 comments:

Ronnie said...

One of the things I'm contemplating as we start this new year is how much of myself I "show" online, not to mention the time I put in getting it there. "I like recording my thoughts" and "these entries are like tethers to my memories" have both helped to clarify what I get out of the whole deal. Thanks!

kelli said...

Where's the "like" button? (I think I posted that comment at Ronnie's blog too ) I love reading your thoughts! Here's to our endeavor of writing more!

Abbi Traaseth said...

Very pleased to help, Ronnie! I can't wait to begin reading your blog again. (With writing my own, I find that I also keep up with others'.)

See ya 'round the blogosphere!

laura said...

i love going back and reading blog entries from years ago. i've changed so much and yet i'm the same.

i too need tethers to my memories, that's why i love taking pictures and facebooking...they're all just little pieces of the puzzle that help me hold onto or recapture a moment.