About Me

My photo
I'm a teenage girl who enjoys a variety of things, such as flowers, colors, piano, music, henna, writing, animals, reading, acting, creating, talking, moving, learning, smiling, and playing. This blog is about my life, interests, and observations.

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Calendar

I've really never used a calendar all the way through the year. I've always bought the really cute ones, with the horses or the gardens or the art posted right under each month's name and right over the days, but I never got past February. Then it would end up folded or bent, collecting dust in my junk drawer with the rest of its discarded kind. By the time I finally remembered it, it would be past the year that it was meant for, and all of those pretty pictures would go to waste. Saddened by their loss, I would resolve to go out, buy a new one, and make use of it this time! ...well, rinse and repeat. By February...

Eventually I wore out of this, and just stopped buying them. I mean, why have them hanging around? Mom has her wooden calendar hanging in the kitchen, and I have a laptop that tells me what time/date it is at any point in the world (currently 3:45PM in Paris, and Wednesday, 1:45AM in Sydney), so why would I deliberately pay money for something disposable that leaves a hole in the wall, and just tells me things I already know?

The answer that I came up with to that question is the reason I haven't had a calendar since I was nine. The reason I have one now, is because of Mrs. Laura Bowman. I saw the calendars that she had on her wall, and they were pieces of art! They were almost like scrapbooks, or a variant of a journal! With little hearts and stars on days that were particularly good, people who came and how long they were staying, events they were going to... all I ever knew about how to fill out a calendar was the rudimentary way of crossing out each day until there were 365 X's!

To sum it all up, with Laura's piece of inspiration to create a wall-journal of my life throughout the entire year, I now have a "365 Days of Kittens" calendar leaning against my desk in my room. I plan to fill it out with love, colorful sharpies, and maybe even a sticker or two. As mentioned in my previous post, I want to be able to look back on it in a couple years, and take the time to remember decorating it and think about what I did that year!

Is it unusual that I seem so adamant about cataloging my life? Maybe, but I'm enjoying it, so maybe that's just the kind of person I am. Here's to the calendar!

5 comments:

laura said...

omg...i feel so...special...so recognized!!! =)

i have calendars saved from all the way back to 1994 when scotty and i got together. i keep them, i really do!! and sometimes i'll come across one in a drawer or the box that most of them are in and i will just sit down for an hour looking at it, reading the little notes...some of my faves are pregnancy years that have the day marked that i found out and my due date and my weight each week heading towards that final moment. gosh, and so many others...i always write down when the kids lose a tooth too...even now that my oldest babe is 14!! 5 year baby books are just not enough for me!!

so i'm a big fan of this post, for so so so many reasons!!

Abbi Traaseth said...

Y'see, that's what I want to create! By starting now, I want to continue to the point where my kids (if they're interested to) can check them out and see what I loved doing! It's all an exciting venture, and I can't wait to keep going. :)

hahamommy said...

I never had enough gumption to do baby books, though I always carried a calendar with room for daily notes. All the milestones are written down, for me to peruse back upon at my leisure -- someday maybe transcribe into the baby books! :) Plus, they were mostly Mary Englebright calendars, so I love looking at them for that, too :D

Ronnie said...

Brilliant!

Ren Allen said...

Very cool!!:)